The American flag has always held a warm space in my heart. I was taught to respect our nation’s flag and it is just a beautiful symbol of freedom to me. It reminds me of the Olympics. So, it is important that I get this painting right to show how lovely our flag looks in the wind.
Looking at the tank last evening and while walking down to the tank this morning I have decided that the fold near the blue and stars just is not right. I am not seeing the flowing movement that I want in the flag fabric. The stars are bugging me because they are not very consistent in size.
No worries though, because we can change anything we want as long as there is a paintbrush-in-hand. I will change the stars area into a slight wave in the fabric instead of the fold but, keep the actual fold on the right side red and white stripes. That should do it. To change this I need to move the blue part a little more to the left and widen the first white stripe into an easier bend. Adjustments, Adjustments, Adjustments.
The plan is to paint the white stars last. So, I mask off the new locations in more consistent in sizes. Masking allows a freedom to a freely paint the shadows and highlights of the flag fabric without worrying about messing up the stars. Applying masking tape strips to cover where the stars should be, then marking a star outline using a sharpie, followed by using an Exacto knife. Wa La!
The real painting begins, making adjustments to the layout and mixing paints to get highlight where the flag reaches out. Paying close attention to where light and shadow should happen. Adding shadow where the flag tucks into a wave base or continues after a fold. The right side of the tank will have a red strip leading off into the back. I decide to add shadow around all the stars while the masking tape is still there, hoping to get a shadow effect to make them stand out.
Lastly I remove the masking tape covering where the stars are to be. Then carefully paint white in the stars and we are finished.
I am happy with this rendering of our American flag.
This is the propane tank that I see when I look out my kitchen window. It seems out of place in our natural forest landscaping. It is just one of those things that bugs me…
As an artist I can change it, so the project begins. First I get a hose out there and spray the tank down. Then I take a bucket of warm water and TSP (tri sodium phosphate) with a green kitchen scrubber and get to work. Over the years layers of pitch from the pine trees along with lots of mildew have put quite a layer of icky stuff on the tank. But, good old TSP is a powerful cleaner that almost always removes all the coodies on any surface needing paint. Read the label cause it is not a nice chemical to handle incorrectly.
Looks quite different clean doesn’t it? I go back into the studio to come up with a drawing to get things right.
I am wanting to put the American flag flowing in the wind on the tank. Starting with the blue background for the stars on the far left with the stripes going over the rest of the tank at an angle.
I know it isn’t that easy to see but, I use blue chalk to layout areas on the tank for the different colors. Then I quickly paint a rough underpainting of the design on the tank.
I walk back up to the house and let it dry overnight.
I just had to paint some colorful butterflies, they are stuck in the brain. I noticed an unfinished oil painting that I started more than a year ago and just couldn’t quit thinking about it. So, I got out the oils, thinner, and linseed oil. Found some of the tubes beyond expired. But, was able to get a pallet out and go to work. This first image is over a year ago because my “Moose” coffee cup is in it, and, it broke more than a year ago. It is amazing how something can sit for such an extended period time.
This picture is how the butterflies looked as it sat, waiting for me. If I don’t keep an eye on the drying rack and stacks of paintings, these poor paintings may never get done. Over a year of dust is not okay.
This year I will be doing shows to sell paintings already done. My goal is to finish all the partially painted pieces and use up all the supplies in my studio before I kick the bucket. Cleaning out the studio, recently brought a complete inventory to my attention. I could paint 24 hours a day and still not run out in a year.
Here is how the butterfly painting looks after a day of work. Finishing the background more fully with the blossoms and leaves better shaded. Taking each butterfly’s position and background coloring I was able to paint them in. So, the layout is pretty much set. I am happy with the progress. But, it will have to let it dry a while before I can finish it.
One of the most entrancing parts about skiing is the ski lift ride back up the hill. After putting some real effort out speeding through whatever terrain you are doing, you quickly slip into the lift entry gate to catch your breath. Taking your seat you experience take-off into the tree heights-observing pristine quiet mountain views as you float over and through the treetops. It is a real meditation time with soft breezes and nature to the max. Some of the the most peaceful and extravagantly beautiful skies and mountain scenes I have ever seen were from my seat on a ski lift.